It was 1956 when a young man from Chicago, newly married to a young lady from Teutopolis, Illinois, started making wood products in his father-in-law's two car garage. The two car garage was the humble beginnings of Stevens Industries. Used as a shop during the day, it had to house his father-in-law's car each evening. Charles "Chuck" Stevens' ingenuity founded Stevens Cabinet Company in 1956. It wasn't long before an opportunity to have a small shop in the back room of a Teutopolis lumber yard became reality. This facility, however, wasn't huge by any means, since to plane lumber longer than 8' in length required feeding the lumber through an opened door to the lumber yard's front lobby.